Korean Drama notes|
I first watched a Korean drama in February, 2015.
I had first heard of them in May 2014, at Alex Polikowsky's house (or before then, from Alex, but she showed me a scene from Faith, and fed me Korean food she had made).
February 8, 2015, a Sunday, I started watching faith. All day Monday, I watched that show. Keith brought me food. I finished it Tuesday, February 10.
Notes about similarities in Faith and Healer (both by the same writer, Song Ji-na)
DON'T GO THERE if you haven't watched both shows, because there will be spoilers,
but what I wrote about Faith and Healer (linked at left) are safe and spoiler-free.
Links are to my own writings elsewhere.
Shows I have finished watching:
end of dramas
- Faith (finished 2/10/15, written by Song Ji-Na)
- The Moon Embracing the Sun (finished on or before 2/25/15)
- City Hunter (3/11/15)
- Healer (finished somewhere around mid March? written by Song Ji-Na)
- The King's Face (3/22/15)
- Sandglass (4/3/15, written by Song Ji-Na; older, darker)
- Shine or Go Crazy (4/8/15? or 4/7—watching while it was new; not planning that again)
- Warrior Baek Dong Soo (4/10/15)
- The Legend (on dramanet, 4/17/15)
- Kill Me, Heal Me (4/21/15)
- Misaeng (on Viki; not smooth, finished 4/26/15)
- Boys over Flowers (5/1/15 #12)
- Tree With Deep Roots (5/10/15)
- Secret Garden (finished 5/16/15)
- Fated to Love You (finished 5/19/15)
- Rooftop Prince (finished 5/23/15)
- Shut Up, Flower Boy Band (5/27/15)
- Emergency Couple (finished 5/31/15)
- Coffee Prince (6/4/15)
- The Master's Sun (6/8/15)
- watched Healer (for the third time) and then Warrior Baek Dong Soo (second time) 6/8-6/22
- Nine: Nine Time Travels (6/25/15)
- My Love from Another Star (6/29/15-started it over right away to catch some end-of-episode bits)
- Greatest Love (started 7/2; finished 7/5)
- It's Okay That's Love (7/10 #24)
[don't know what I was watching between 7/10 and 7/13.. tried some of Empress Ki]
- Chuno / The Slave Hunters (7/13-7/26, watched most of Healer and some of Faith partway through)
- Orange Marmalade (7/26-7/28 early a.m.) 12 episodes, good
- Late Night Restaurant [it's still airing, but I've watched the first
six, eight thirteen half-hour stories]
- Personal Taste (7/30 - 8/2/15) [went to Chama for a few days]
- One Sunny Day (8/8/15, 2.5 hours or less altogether)
- watched Faith again while I was sick with pneumonia and some Late Night Restaurant
- re-watched Personal Taste, but didn't take notes; sick
- Oh My Ghostess (8/26/15)
- re-watched City Hunter (finished 9/4/15, liked it better 2nd time, but don't *love*)
- Heirs (9/8/15)
- Secret Garden (second time, finished 9/20/15)
- My Love Eun Dong (9/24/15)
- My Love from Another Star (all the way through to the epilog, finished 10/8/15
- Twenty Again (10/20/15)
- Kill Me, Heal Me (second time, finished 10/25/15)
- Bachelor's Vegetable Store (10/28/15)
- Arang and the Magistrate (11/3/15)
- Healer (fourth viewing, 11/9/15)
- She was Pretty (11/14/15 #36—in these third-dozen days, I re-watched several))
- The Story of a Man, a.k.a. The Slingshot, or A Man's Story (12/5/15—written by Song Ji-Na)
- The King of Dramas (12/13/15)
- What's Up? (12/19/15—written by Song Ji-Na)
- Tamra, the Island (12/27/15)
- Oh My Venus [in progress—started it before it was completed and had to wait, 1/8/15]
- Angry Mom (1/7/15)
- Splash Splash Love (1/7/8, it only has two episodes)
- finished Oh My Venus (1/8)
- Personal Taste (third time through, 1/18/16)
- KARA: Secret Love (1/21/16, five separate stories, two hours each)
- Grandpas over Flowers Investigation Team (2/1/16)
- Answer Me 1988 / Reply 1988 (2/17/16)
- I Have a Lover (2/17/16-3/12/16; 50 episodes, busy month)
- Fool's Love / Ho Gu's Love (3/17/16)
- Rooftop Prince (second time, 3/21/16)
- The Merchant: Gaekju 2015 (41 episodes, don't watch it again, 4/12/16)
- Page Turner (4/12/16, good, three episodes)
- Healer (4/18/16, fifth time through—still catching subtleties)
- It's Okay, That's Love (second time through, 4/29/16 A note, if you have seen it; avoid otherwise )
- Snow Lotus Flower / Lucid Dream (5/1/16, two episodes long; nice!)
- Faith again. It just gets better, and I added a couple of similarities to Healer than I hadn't seen before. (5/9/16)
- Secret Garden (third time, 5/16)
- Descendents of the Sun (5/21)
- Moorim School (5/27/16)
- Secretly Greatly (to watch one of the leads of Moorim School; 4th viewing)
- Dramaworld (5/30/16)
Notes on things to|
Mirror of the Witch
Zo In Sung was also pretty sexy in
That Winter, The Wind Blows. (Alex says)
Mary Lewis says
"The Sound of Your Heart is funny."
Riders: Catch Tomorrow (to see Choi Min who played the secretary in Cinderella and Four Knights)
"Loved [Jun Ji Hyun] in My Sassy Girl especially. " (Mark Choy)
If you haven't watched it and are in the mood for a high school drama with lots of music I highly recommend the drama Dream High (Marcella Chester)
From Dramabeans ten-to-hook-your-friends article, those I haven't watched:
- My Name Is Kim Sam-soon (2005)
- Sungkyunkwan Scandal (2010)
- Nice Guy (2012)
- I Hear Your Voice (2013)
'Candle in the Tomb' has history, archeology, and some spooky fun. (Chinese; recommended by Gail)
(and I lined through what I've watched from the list)
Handwritten list and I don't know why:
That Winter, the wind that blows
You're Beatiful (already watched)
Jen Fernandez wrote:
Cinderella and the Four Knights - ...Loved all the male characters and the lead female is cute.
Shopping King Louis -...super sweet and the classic tropes were not really there in the usual way. One of the male leads is Oska from Secret Garden.
Cheese in the Trap - This was very different for me. Rather darker then I usually go for. That's all I'll say. I'd love to discuss it more if anyone else watched it.
Hello My Twenties (aka Age of Youth)- ... it is interesting to see certain social issues through Koreans eyes.
"You're Beautiful has church in it because Go Mi-nyeo is planning to be a nun."—Mary Lewis
"Uncontrollably Fond (Lightly Ardently)... usually-evil elf-like Im Ju Whan from Oh My Ghostess and Shine or Go Crazy playing a so-far cute bushy-banged bespectacled young second lead..."—Genie Maples
Also Genie Maples recommendations:
Beautiful Mind (Jang Hyuk)
My Beautiful Gong Shim - Very enjoyable, funny, tons of cute. Some tropes, but you can see an attempt to rein them in. Adorable male lead. Adorable female lead. Sunbeam-smiley second male lead.
Same for Lucky Romance - Totally adorable male lead - one of the most endearing dorkiest characters ever and a great performance.
"Viki now has Queen In Hyeon's Man, which is often cited in people's tops lists and is a time travel romance story." —Stephanie Currier
My Girl (2005-06)
You're Beautiful (2009)
Full House (2007)
Playful Kiss (2010)
- Answer Me 1994 (6/10/16)
- Thank You (6/14/16)
- Answer Me 1997 (6/26/16)
- Healer again, better than ever (sixth time, 7/10/16)
- Noble, My Love (20 15-minute shows, 7/11/16)
- Signal (took forever, wasn't done when I left for England, last 90 mins I got by recap, 9/13/16)
break in service, went to England for 6.5 weeks
- Secret Garden, episode 6 on, in England, between things, as it's one of the only ones available there9/27/16, back from England, but then to a conference in Arizona,
so... still, break...
- Moonlight Drawn by Clouds (10/22/16)
- Fantasic (11/5/16)
- You're Beautiful (11/14/16)
- The K-2 (11/17/16)
- Uncontrollably Fond / Secretly Ardently (11/22/16)
- Beautiful Mind (11/29/16)
- Beautiful Gong Shim (12/5/16)
- Scarlet Heart: Ryeo (12/15/16)
- Healer (12/7/16 Seventh viewing)
- Full House (1/6/17; long build-up, nice end, but some irritation and some humor in the middle)
- W (1/11/16—liked it lots, but needed to pause and recover and think sometimes)
- Pinocchio (1/17/17, lots of favorite actors, picks up in episodes 9 / 10 and zooms)
- Shopping King Louis (1/22/17)
- Goblin (1/29/17)
- Legend of the Blue Sea (2/4/17)
- Cinderella and Four Knights (2/8/17) [#75, finished on my second anniversary of watching shows]
___________ Year Three
- Secret / Secret Love (2/13/17) others have similar names; I watched this one
- Weightlifting Fairy Kim Bok-Joo (2/17/17)
- It's Okay, That's Love (2/22/17, third time)
- My Girlfriend is a Nine-Tailed Fox (2/27/17) the film director is the best character
- Big (2/..? 30?/17) Too frustrating; don't watch again.
- That Winter the Wind that Blows (3/7/17)
- Coffee Prince (3/14/17, second time)
- Voice (2017) (finished 3/27/17, but in the middle watched the next-listed one)
- The Sound of Your Heart (on Netflix, not very long, fun and funny) (3/21/17)
- Riders—Catch Tomorrow (4/5/17)
- [Maybe I watched one in here and maybe I didn't; Keith was hurt, and I got distracted)
- Mirror of the Witch (5/3/17)
- Because it's the First Time (5/8/17)
- Love in Trouble (Suspicious Partner) (in progress—started while it was airing)
- Faith, all the way through (with interruptions twice for new episodes of Suspicious Partner), officially my 5th viewing (all the way through, I guess) and I still found two similarities to Healer I hadn't seen before. (6/3/17)
This page was supposed to be a place for me to count how many shows I had watched, but there's a problem. I'm listing re-watchings. :-) And some things are movies, not dramas. And Late Night Restaurant is a bunch of short stories, not one long one. One Sunny Day is an odd very-short drama and shouldn't count. So it's a record of what order I've watched things in, I guess.
- Gangnam Blues (watched as soon as it came on DramaFever; too rough, didn't like)
- Secretly Greatly (6/29/15, watched to see the lead from My Love from Another Star, Kim Soo-Hyun. It's a bit rough, but very good)
- watched again in early December, after "The Slingshot" to see one of the actors—Park Ki-Woong, who played the nerdy stock-market whiz.
- Watched again to see Lee Hyun-Woo, who was one of two male leads in Moorim School.
- A Werewolf Boy (August 2015; insubstantial and too sad)
- Castaway on the Moon (didn't save the date, didn't like it)
- A Man and a Woman (watched on the plane on the way back from England 9/26/16, wrote this)
- "The Technicians," (a.k.a. Con Men), 11/20/16. It's good. Light. Heist, relationships, sneaking, printing, art, acting. Actor from Secretly Greatly and Moorim School in it.
- Windstruck (11/30/16, with Jang Hyuk and Jun Ji-hyun, 2004)
- The Beauty Inside (2/9/17) worth watching again! Joyce recommended it; it's on Netflix.
As of late August, 2015 over two dozen dramas and two movies.
End of December, 2015, I had finished 40 (nearly 41), and three movies.
Counted again February 8, 2017 (second anniversary), 75 dramas and seven movies.